Backend Engineer (f/m/d) - Remote EMEA
RemoteBerlin, Berlin, GermanyEngineering
Purpose of your role as a Backend Engineer
As a Backend Engineer, you will be evolving our core services with a keen eye on performance, scalability, and quality. You will be exposed to interesting problems as we develop new features in our product, as well as participate in improvements and changes in our architecture to better position ourselves for growth and scale.
What you'll do
- Collaborate closely within an autonomous team, solving exciting problems and planning continuous improvements
- Design and implement scalable and performant solutions
- Identify and improve performance, scalability, and testability bottlenecks
- Participate as part of internal Engineering Guilds, to identify architectural improvements, prioritize and act on them
- Bring creative ideas to the table, having a real impact on our product and engineering practices
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth
You have gone through different onboarding sessions covering our product, current architecture, and relevant services we run on production, learned about the company's origin and current vision and met colleagues from different departments as part of onboarding as well as weekly virtual social events. You'd have started to get to know your teammates, learned how we work daily, and contributed to our codebase.
You will be familiar with most concepts related to our product and worked alongside your teammates to deliver features and improvements on production successfully.
You'd have had a few 1:1s with your team lead to check in on how things are going, you will have participated in some engineering guild sessions and collaborated with fellow engineers to improve our architecture, performance and code quality.
You will have made solid contributions to our product and stack, shared knowledge and previous experiences, helping substantially with scalable, mission-critical services.
What we expect from you
- A drive to bring your code and solutions to a globally distributed production system
- 3+ years of strong backend development experience with strongly typed languages (ideally Golang)
- Experience writing testable code, following best practices and design patterns when applicable
- Experience with developing APIs
- Experience in architecture and development of scalable production-quality backend systems
- Experience with modern relational databases, SQL, and understanding of data modeling, indexing, etc.
- Mindful about performance and able to measure it meaningfully
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to take ownership, but also ask for help and advice when needed
- Openness to feedback and willingness to learn, reflect, and grow within the organization
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with cloud-based development (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Experience with infrastructure as code tooling
- Experience with monitoring and observability tooling
- Knowledge of Docker and containerized applications
- Intro call with Talent Acquisition
- Hiring Manager Interview
- Technical interview
- Team Fit call and Reference check
- Job Offer
The response time after application, screening applications, and setting up the first intro call is usually within 1-2 weeks. You could expect some alterations when necessary.
At Hygraph we're building the leading GraphQL Federated Content Platform. Our goal is to enable developers and content operators to create, enrich, unify, and deliver content across platforms seamlessly. We are trusted to manage content for teams from over 50,000 organizations like Dr. Oetker, Shure, Samsung, Ashley Furniture, Telenor, Philips, and Gamescom. With over $35M in funding led by One Peak, alongside OpenOcean, Peak, and SquareOne Venture Capital, you will be part of a remote-first and globally distributed team of about 70 team members, committed to working collaboratively, transparently, and passionately.
We believe in a remote-first approach where everyone is encouraged to do their best from wherever they are and work together with transparency, accountability, and ownership. We learn continuously through feedback and have a yearly learning budget to attend training and conferences.